Balloon Carpal Tunnelplasty
A technique to provide minimally invasive access to the carpal tunnel...
Balloon Carpal Tunnelplasty is a technique that uses a minimally invasive balloon catheter director to access the carpal tunnel. The director protects the median nerve and contents of the carpal tunnel. Like a traditional tissue elevator/expander with Balloon Carpal Tunnelplasty the carpal ligament is elevated increasing the space in the carpal tunnel. The Balloon Carpal Tunnelplasty technique is performed through a one centimeter incision at the distal wrist crease, it is monitored and expansion confirmed by direct or endoscopic visualization. The purpose of Balloon Carpal Tunnelplasty is to avoid an incision in the palm of the hand, avoid cutting the transverse carpal ligament and maintain the biomechanics of the hand.
Ref: Berger, L. “Balloon Carpal Tunnelplasty, First Comparative Clinical Study”; The University of Pittsburgh Journal Vol 17, pg 80; 2006
Balloon Carpal Tunnelplasty provides balloon access to the carpal tunnel in order to elevate and expand the transverse carpal ligament.
This procedure assists in increasing the spatial diameter of the carpal tunnel to improve direct and endoscopic visualization of the carpal tunnel. With the transverse carpal ligament elevated, the surgeon can weaken or incise the ligament in order to permanently deform it.
The procedure is performed with a traditional inflatable tissue elevator / expander. This device increases the size of the carpal tunnel which in turn alleviates the pressure on the median nerve in the hand and wrist and relieves the symptoms associated with carpal tunnel.
Inflatable Tissue Elevator / Expander
- Minimally Invasive Technique
- Performed under local anesthetic with optional sedation
- Avoids incision in the palm of the hand
- Preserves the transverse carpal ligament
- Elevation of transverse carpal ligament can be confirmed by endoscopic visualization
- Rapid return to activities of daily living
Minimally Invasive One Centimeter Incision
- Ballon Carpal Tunnelplasty Sales Sheet
- Surgical Technical Guide
- Ballon Carpal Tunnelplasty Brochure
- Ballon Carpal Tunnelplasty Brochure - Spanish
- LB Hand Hoder Restraint Sterilization Instructions